Denis Van den Bulke is the current managing partner of the Firm and heads the Tax and Finance practices. Denis specializes in corporate finance, venture capital and private equity, group restructuring (along with cross-borders mergers and acquisitions and international tax), international and European banking and financial law (including investment funds and international equity compensation plans).
Before founding VANDENBULKE with other partners, Denis was a partner in the international and corporate department of a top-tier US Law firm, based in their London and Brussels offices. He previously acted as an executive director at International bank ING, Luxembourg, heading the activities of the financial structures, investment funds, institutional banking and financial engineering departments. Denis has also acquired international finance senior experience as financial expert with IFAD an international financial institution and a specialised agency of the United Nations, sponsored OCDE, OPEC and World Bank institutions.
Denis is a former director of the Association of the Luxembourg Fund Industry (ALFI) and still an active member of its Private Equity Commission. He is also active in various professional organizations including thee Luxembourg Private Equity Association (LPEA), IBA, ABA, IFA or the European Banking and Financial Association.
- Master’s degree in Law, University of Liège, Belgium.
- Master’s degree in Economics, CORE (Center of Operational Research and Econometrics), University of Louvain, Belgium.
- Master’s degree in Sociology and Anthropology, University of Louvain, Belgium.
- Graduated from Marysville, USA.
- Admitted to Brussels Bar since 1995.
- Admitted to Luxembourg Bar since 2003.
- Elected as European Legal Expert by Legal 500.
- Since 2006, nominated and recommended by Chamber Global as one of the best “Banking & Finance” and “Corporate & Commercial” Lawyers in Luxembourg.
- Recommended by Legal 500 and IFLR in the fields of Banking and Finance, Corporate/Commercial, IP and Tax practices in Luxembourg.
- Nominated and recommended by International Tax Review as leading Luxembourg Tax Lawyer.
- Nominated as Five-star lawyer by the Premier Guide to World Leading Lawyers.
- Recommended by “Decision Makers Investment Funds Luxembourg” 2016, 2017.
Denis has authored number of articles in the field of corporate finance and international tax.
- “Loans & Secured Financing” Luxembourg section, Getting the Deal Through, LBR, 2019.
- “Securities Finance” Luxembourg Section, Getting the Deal Through, LBR, 2018.
- “Banking Regulations” Luxembourg section in the series “Laws and Regulations”, Global Legal Insights, 2018.
- “Structured Finance & Securitisation” Luxembourg section, Getting the Deal Through, Law Business Research (LBR), 2018.
- “Corporate Insolvency and Reorganisation Report 2018“, Luxembourg section, International Financial Law Review, 2018.
- “Establishing a business in Luxembourg“, Thomson & Reuteurs, 2018.
- “Luxembourg Court gives extra strength to collateralization“, VANDENBULKE news, 2018.
- “Will the tax bubble burst? Luxembourg report“, Interview The Lawyer, 2017.
- “Luxembourg: The IP Regime is Dead, Long Live the IP Regime!“, VANDENBULKE news, 2017.
- “Acquisition Finance” Luxembourg Section, Getting the Deal Through, LBR, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.
- “Loans & Secured Financing” Luxembourg section, Getting the Deal Through, LBR, 2017, 2018.
- “Securities Finance” Luxembourg Section, Getting the Deal Through, LBR, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.
- “Banking Regulations” Luxembourg Section, Getting the Deal Through, LBR, 2014, 2015, 2016.
- “Project Finance” Luxembourg Section, Getting the Deal Through, LBR, 2014, 2015, 2016.
- “Insolvency and Corporate Reorganisation Report 2016“, Luxembourg section, International Financial Law Review, 2016.
- “The Liability of the Bankers in the enforcement of securities”, Bruylant, Droit Bancaire et Financier, ALJB, Luxembourg, 2014.
- Interview on analysis of the Luxembourg legal market in “Legal Success”, Russian law magazine, 2013.
- “Holding companies and joint ventures”, Corporate INTL, France 2009.
- “Take-Over bids in Luxembourg”, La Tribune, France 2006.
- “International Banking Law and Regulation”, Oxford Publications, London, USA.
- “The opening of the Capital of companies to Venture Capital investors”, 2003.
- “International Stock Plans”, the Practitioner’s guide, author of section on Luxembourg, Aspen Inc., New York, USA.
- “Banking techniques in inheritance planning” Brussels, Bruylant, 1994.
- “Investments Funds in Luxembourg and Ireland: a comparative approach”, London, 1994.
- “To Euro-Hold or Not To Euro-Hold your subsidiaries (or the comparative advantages to structure operations in the European Union through a European Holding Company)”, 1996.
Denis chairs and is an active speaker at various international conferences and seminars throughout Europe including, inter alia, Paris Chamber of Commerce and Cercle Montesquieu, International Faculty for Executives (IFE) in Paris, Brussels and Luxembourg or European Life Settlement Association (ELSA).
- 2016 “Company law reform – the essential kit”, Luxembourg.
- 2008 Paris Chamber of Commerce, “Colloque on the Mobility of Undertakings in Europe, contribution to tax aspects of international and cross-borders mergers”.
- 2005 Conference for the Center of International Legal Studies, on “Tax and Taxing considerations in international M&A”.
- 2003 Guest Speaker – Lawyer in Financing for the New Website of HEC Lausanne commenting Venture Financing issues, www.entrepreneurship-finance.com.
- 2002 Guest Speaker at the Annual Event of HEC and EPFL Lausanne, Management of Technology, ‘Fine tuning in Venture Financing’, Legal aspects.
- Since 2001 Lecturer at the University of Liège for research fellows within the context of the University Program “Creation of Spin-Off ventures”. Lectures on: Venture capital financing and shareholders agreements.
- 2000 Speaker at Conference organized by Robert Half & Associates on Cyber taxation.
- 1996 Speaker at Dorsey & Whitney Counsel Symposium, Mpls, USA.
- Speaker for IFE Benelux conferences on the following matters:
- 2018 “Directors liabilities 2018“.
- 2017 “Corporate governance 2018”.
- 2017 “New challenges for Luxembourg directors in 2017”.
- 2015, 2016 “Directors’ liabilities”.
- 2016 “Corporate Law – Which governance in 2017?”.
- 2012, 2013, 2015 “Recent Developments in Corporate Law”.
- 2014 “General Meetings”.
- 2012 “Capital transactions – corporate capital of Luxembourg entities”.
- 2011, 2014 “Financial Guarantees”.
- 2008 “Tax aspects of Cross-Borders Mergers”.
- 2007-2008 “Cross-Borders Mergers”.
- 2007 “the Luxembourg Holding Company”.
- 2005 “Securitization-comparative approach”.
- 2005 “Competitive advantages of the Luxembourg Financial Place – communication on the latest development of the Luxembourg Holding Company”.
- 2005 “Tax and Wealth Planning with respect to Luxembourg”.
- 2004 “Tax and social aspects of compensations- International aspects” Chairman of the Conference, Communication on International implementation of Equity-Based Compensation Plans.
- 2004 “Update on Savings-Actualité de l’Epargne”, communication on new Luxembourg corporate tax and SICAR and Tax amnesty in Belgium.
- 2003 “Why and how to resort to the Joint Venture?”, Chairman of the Session on tax, accounting and legal aspects.
- 2002 “M&A Legal issues common to all acquisitions – Structuring the Deal”.
- 2002 “Tax implementation of International Stock-Options and their regulatory aspects”.